Heart disease is a huge problem in the UK but that doesn’t mean you have to accept it in your life.
There’s nothing you can do about certain risk factors such as family history or your age but you certainly have the power to take control of the other risk factors in your life and say yes to a healthy heart.
There are many steps that you can take to prevent heart disease and here are 5 of the best tips to a healthy heart that you can start following immediately.
1. Watch What You Eat – Obesity is on the rise in the UK, more than half of the adult population is overweight. Being overweight can have a direct effect on your heart and you can run the risk of heart disease and diabetes. Making positive lifestyle changes is important. Start looking at what you eat on a daily basis, cut out all processed foods, cakes, biscuits, white bread and pasta and include fresh organic foods, lean meats, oily fish and lots of organic fruit and vegetables.
2. Get Moving – It’s important to remember that your heart is a muscle and it needs you to exercise to keep it fit so it can pump blood around your body efficiently with every heartbeat. Keep yourself moving on a daily basis, join your local bootcamp or find an exercises class that you would enjoy. Just get moving every day. Keeping your heart healthy not only benefits your physical health but it also improves your mental health as well.
3. Cut Down the Alcohol – Alcohol really isn’t good for you in any shape or form, too much alcohol can damage your heart and increase your blood pressure which can lead to a stroke and extra weight gain. We all like a drink once in a while but if you are drinking every day then it’s now time to cut that right back to once or twice a week and only a couple of glasses.
4. Put down the salt – If your diet is high in salt it can put extra pressure on your heart, it can also increase your risk of high blood pressure. If you are eating healthy natural foods then these foods won’t contain extra salt but if you are eating processed unnatural foods then you are eating a ton of extra salt. That’s why it’s important that you eat a healthy natural diet every day
5. What’s Your Family History – Find out if a close relative suffers from diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or obesity. If they do you may be at risk but if you follow a healthy active life then the risk factor will decrease.
You should be following all of these top tips so you will go through the rest of your life with a healthy heart.