If you want fast food then it doesn’t come much faster than salad!
Fast food doesn’t have to mean ‘junk food’, prepping some natural, fresh veggies and serving with some lean protein take all of about 5 minutes, so don’t tell me that you don’t have time to eat healthy foods.
Not all salad recipes are created equal though!
If you get carried away with cramming your salad with meats, cheeses and full fat dressings it can really crank up the fat levels. When you eat out you may go for a salad believing that it is the healthier option but some salad dressings contain huge amounts of fat!
Keep your salad ingredients clean, colourful, crisp and simple and you’ll be fuelling your body and feeling energized every day.
When it comes to choosing a lettuce or leaf then go for the greenest variety or one with colour.
Here are the healthiest lettuce types you can buy or grow:
Spinach – not actually a lettuce but this is amazing in salads
Romaine lettuce – fantastic as an alternative to breads as an open sandwich
Rocket (arugula) – this peppery leaf is fantastic to mix in for extra flavour
Radicchio – this is a vegetable related to chicory which adds a fabulous crunch and deep flavour
Lettuce contains a huge amount of nutritional benefits including iron, calcium, phosphorous, potassium, manganese and vitamins C, A and K.
Why not get a salad bag from the store that contains some or all of the above types of salad to make life even easier and your food even faster.
Try This Healthy Salad Recipe
- 1 large bag of fresh salad
- 1 bag of baby spinach leaves
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 large beef tomato
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- Piri piri seasoning
- 2 5oz chicken breasts (organic, free range)
- Handful of coriander leaves
- ½ lime
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Wash and dry chicken breasts, rub piri piri seasoning on both chicken breasts
- Griddle both of the chicken breasts for 4/5 minutes each side until cooked through, allow to cool for 10 minutes and then tear into strips
- Place both bags of leaves into a large salad bowl
- De-core and slice the tomato into chunks
- De-core the bell pepper and slice into thin strips
- Peel and slice the red onion into very thin quarters break up and sprinkle over
- Peel, remove the stone and dice the avocado
- Loosely chop the coriander leaves
- Put all ingredients into the bowl
- Squeeze over the juice of the lime and then grate some of the zest on top
- Pour over ingredients into the bowl
Drizzle over olive oil and the toss salad together and serve immediately
This is the perfect evening meal for the family or a nice lunchtime get together with friends or even perfect for a picnic this summer.
Just remember there really aren’t any limits when it comes to salads (except the fattening ones!) so try lots of different raw food combinations like adding raw cauliflower, pumpkin seeds, walnuts or different proteins like smoked salmon, griddled tofu, eggs or mixed pulses.
If your food needs to be fast then follow a healthy salad recipe and you will glow from the inside out.